Sunday, June 04, 2006

Training




This week has not really been very eventfull but I wanted to add some new pictures so I decided to update the blog anyhow. In short Senna's started to spend more and more time awake at the day care (eventhough this week's pictures seem to contradict that statement, but I couldn't help myself, she was sooo cute:) and now she's not the only puppy there anymore. A new addition, in the shape of a Chinese crested pup has arrived, a few weeks older than Senna, but ooow so much tinier:) And very cute as well.

Senna's training is going well. We usually spend some time every night (when she isn't too tired from day care that is;) practising tricks and commands as well as adding new ones. Now she knows sit, lie down, different contact exercises, give the paw, stay, come and no. Sometimes when we're outside I try to sneak away from her when she's sniffing at a particularly interesting smell, to see how attentive she really is. I turn and start running towards our house, and nowadays she's quick to follow. The first few times I did it, to see if she would follow, she seemed very surprised at my nerve and had a "what do you think you're playing at, running away from ME??" look on her face when she finally caught up:)

She also knows not to barge through open doors first (including car doors) but to wait for her turn, and we're also trying to teach her to search for stuff. I have hidden goodies in her basket a few times while she watches me but the first few times she seemed very confused:) "Hmmm I can smell something veeery nice here, but...it's nowhere to be seen. Strange":) A friend lent me her Dogspinny (activity toy) but Senna thought that was a hard nut to crack, at least the first time. We might try tonight again and see if she's figured it out.

Today we gave Senna her second bath. She willingly walked into the shower and sat down, since I was in there with her and shampooing and rinsing her was a piece of cake, no protesting whatsoever. Good girl. She might even have enjoyed it, at least she didn't mind. So we now have a clean-smelling and veeery shiny jet black little girl. We're also keeping up with the claw cutting. Although not a favourite pastime of Senna's she accepts it (just and just..). Actually today she came running towards me with the clippers in her mouth (still on the table since last time) so there seems to be no hard feelings towards them at least (or maybe she was actually trying to bite them into pieces:).